Want to get more abstraction into your work? Ideas for loosening up:
- Hold your brush by the end (not down near the bristles). I get questions ALL the time about why my brushes have a nine-inch handle. The short answer is, that's how I wanted them. ha. I like a long handled brush because it's easier for me when I stand at my easel. And when you hold the brush by the end, you lose some control over it but you gain expression.
- Set a timer for 60 seconds and when the bell goes off, you're done! Work fast and intuitively!
- Don't fiddle and fix and overwork. Let it be. You can always do a new page.
- Paint with your arm and not your hand. Try moving the brush with your entire arm.
- Give up the idea of perfection. It's more fun to play than to be perfect.